By Vipul Kashyap Services wrestler Satender Malik said on Wednesday that it was referee Jagbir Singh who got his hands on him first and started the fight and was completely wrong to bring charges against him.
His statements came after the Indian Wrestling Federation banned him for punching referee Jagbir Singh inside KD Jadhav Hall at IGI Stadium. This incident happened after Malik lost the 125kg final at the 2022 Commonwealth Games Trials, prompting the WFI to impose a lifetime ban on the grappler. “It’s clear from the footage that the referee himself started the fight. He’s accusing me of abusing him and threatening him. He’s lying. He never told the media that he first got hold of me. He hid a lot of things. and accused me of abusing him. The media exaggerated the whole episode. I felt pained, but I knew the truth could not be hidden,” Malik told ANI.
The wrestler said that two to three thousand and 150 to 200 wrestlers were present at the stadium during the incident. “If he (the referee) is right, then why isn’t he getting public support and being abused instead?” he asked.
Malik said he will have to obey the federation’s decision. He said if he was sure to win the fight, but the referee made a wrong decision, ignored the jury’s decision and his decision was accepted by all.
The wrestler said that although the Federation does not want the player to suffer, they must respect even the bad decisions of the referees because they need them. “Wrestlers come and go. If I leave, others may enter my category. But where will the referees come from?” he added. The wrestler said he doesn’t feel guilty for doing anything wrong.
“He could have gone to the Federation if I had deceived him. But he got hold of me. Does that make sense?” he added. Earlier this month, Indian wrestler Satender Malik of Services was banned for life by the Indian Wrestling Federation for punching referee Jagbir Singh inside KD Jadhav Hall at IGI Stadium.
This incident happened after Malik lost the 125kg final at the 2022 Commonwealth Games Trials, prompting the WFI to impose a lifetime ban on the grappler. “The moment he hit the referee at the stadium, we decided to impose a lifetime ban on Satender Malik at the same time and he will not be allowed to participate in any wrestling events from now on,” said WFI Deputy Secretary Vinod Tomar at ANI. (ANI)
(This story has not been edited by the Devdiscourse team and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)