- Network of more than 12,000 certified advisers
- Financial assistance for eligible persons
- Cheaper per month than Talkspace
- Does not take insurance and does not prescribe drugs
- Some negative customer reviews online cite poor customer service and unprofessional therapists
- Not transparent about the qualifications of its therapists
- Session Types Text messaging and live chat, audio or video
- Cost and payment options Prices range from $60 to $90 per week and vary depending on where you live, network availability of therapists in your area, and financial aid eligibility.
- Accept insurance Nope
- Prescribes medication Nope
BetterHelp, a popular online counseling service for adults, launched Teen Counseling to provide online counseling specifically for teens. Teen Counseling includes a network of over 12,000 licensed and experienced counselors who can help teens with issues such as anxiety, stress, self-esteem, depression, bullying, eating disorders , relationships, anger, etc. Although a participating therapist’s license may allow working with members of all ages, its strengths lie in working with teenagers. The company is not fully transparent about the qualifications of its therapists; it simply states that individual therapists can list additional training or experience working with teens on their teen counseling profile to help you and your teen choose a practitioner they feel comfortable working with.
Teens can communicate with counselors in four ways: asynchronously via text messages or synchronously by live chatting, talking on the phone or video conferencing.
For synchronous sessions between your teen and their therapist, you can schedule one live chat, phone call, or video session per week. For asynchronous sessions, you and your child will each have your own dedicated messaging “room”, which is your private and secure place to communicate with the therapist. You and your teen can each send unlimited messages to the therapist at any time. You will be notified by email when the therapist has responded.
Teen Counseling receives 3.4 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot; 6 out of 12 reviews mention poor customer service and unprofessional therapists. The platform is not rated by the BBB.