Logan Mwangi’s bedroom light flicked on and off several times before his body was carried out of the house at 2.43am, murder trial heard


CCTV footage from outside the house where prosecutors believe five-year-old Logan Mwangi was brutally murdered was shown to jurors.

Logan was found dead on July 31 last year in the River Ogmore near Pandy Park in Bridgend. The schoolboy had sustained injuries which a pathologist described as ‘so extreme that one would expect to find them following a fall from a great height or a high-speed road accident’ .

The Crown says Logan had been subjected to “brutal and sustained assault” before his death.

Logan’s mother, Angharad Williamson, 30, from Lower Llansantffraid, Sarn, Bridgend, and his stepfather John Cole, 40, of Maesglas, Ynysawdre, Bridgend, deny his murder. A third defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons due to his age, has also pleaded not guilty to murder and all are on trial at Cardiff Crown Court.

Read more: Goes here to read all the latest stories from the Courts of Wales

Logan Mwangi’s mother Angharad Williamson and stepfather John Cole both deny murder

On Thursday, the prosecution detailed what it called a “timeline of events” before and after Logan’s death.

Jurors were told that the curtains in Logan’s bedroom were drawn during darkness and opened during the day between July 26 and July 29.

But in the early hours of July 31, Logan’s bedroom light was turned on and off seven times between 12:36 a.m. and 2:22 a.m.

The Crown says Cole then carried Logan’s body out of the house at 2:43 a.m.

Her bedroom light then seemed to cycle on and off a number of times over the next few hours – and a dim light appeared to come from the room around 5am.

Willamson then phoned 999 at 5.46am to report Logan missing – a call that the Crown alleges Logan’s mother “played the part of a distraught mother to the fullest extent of her acting abilities”.

At the opening of the case, Caroline Rees QC said: “The prosecution say that Logan died as a result of a brutal and sustained assault on him inside the house and that each of these defendants had a role to play and that it was the use of forced violence, causing catastrophic injuries found at autopsy.

She added that while the prosecution “cannot show exactly what happened behind the closed doors of Lower Llansantffraid”, each defendant’s behavior after Logan’s death “is consistent with the fact that they are desperately trying to conceal their involvement in his death”.

On Wednesday, the court heard testimony from one of Logan’s teachers – who said the youngster appeared to have ‘dark circles’ around his eyes and his stutter had worsened on his return to school. school after Covid restrictions lifted.

Jurors also heard a statement from Logan’s father, Benjamin Mwangi, about when he learned his son had died.

He also recalled that the last conversation with his son dates back to January 2020 after his mother stopped contact. The court heard that not knowing what his son was doing or where he was had “tormented” him.

The three defendants are also accused of perverting the course of justice, including moving Logan’s body to the river near Pandy Park, stripping his clothes, washing bloodstained bed linen and making a fake. missing person report to the police.

Williamson and the youngster pleaded not guilty to both offenses while Cole denied murder but admitted perverting the course of justice.

Williamson and Cole were also charged with causing or permitting the death of a child, which they both denied.

The trial, which is expected to last about eight weeks, is continuing.

Follow live updates below


About Author

Comments are closed.