Man United “get a boost in their Â£ 100million pursuit of England star Declan Rice” after West Ham’s poor form in December – which only saw them win two of six league games – a shaken their dreams of the Champions League
- Man United boss Ralf Rangnick has agreed to make Declan Rice a priority target
- Red Devils understand they will have to shell out Â£ 100million for the midfielder
- But United could get a boost if West Ham don’t qualify for the Champions League
- Hammers boss David Moyes insisted he’s not worried about losing his star man
West Ham’s disappointing run in December gave Manchester United a boost in their pursuit of midfielder Declan Rice, according to reports.
Red Devils interim manager Ralf Rangnick has given the club the green light to list the England international as one of their priority targets this summer.
United understand they will have to shell out Â£ 100million to convince the Hammers to part ways with their star midfielder, but West Ham’s pursuit of Champions League football could jeopardize the decision.
West Ham’s poor form gave Man United a boost in their pursuit of Declan Rice (above)
David Moyes’ side are currently in fifth place, just one point off the top four and Champions League qualifying spots.
Securing top-tier European football for next season would give the Irons considerable bargaining weight and even the power to reject offers for the 22-year-old, according to The sun.
However, despite having two years left on his current contract, Rice could put some pressure on if West Ham fail to reach their ambitions and qualify for the Champions League this term.
The Hammers’ top four prospects have taken a hard hit in recent weeks as the London side struggled to juggle their Premier League and Europa League campaigns.
Champions League qualification would give Hammers the power to reject Rice’s offers
Despite rebounding on the winning streak with a 3-2 win over Crystal Palace on Saturday, West Ham took just eight points from 18 last month.
The narrow victory saw them return to fifth place, but Moyes will be hopeful his side will improve on their recent form to improve their chances of keeping Rice at London Stadium.
United are believed to be looking to capitalize on the Hammers’ recent struggles and seize their chance in the coming weeks to set the stage before producing a big offer at the end of the season.
United interim boss Ralf Rangnick (left) has reportedly agreed to list the midfielder as a priority
But the Red Devils aren’t the only ones seeking Rice’s signing, as Manchester City and Chelsea are also said to be admirers as he is enjoying another great season thanks to his success at Euro 2020.
Hammers boss Moyes recently insisted he was not afraid of losing his star man to one of Europe’s elite clubs, although he compared him to the best on the continent.
âWell, Declan has a long contract here, a long contract. So from that point of view, we don’t have a great panic, âhe said.
But Hammers boss David Moyes (left) insisted he’s not worried about losing his star man
âWe’ll keep Declan as long as we can, we have no plans to sell him. If we ever had to, I’ve already said a few times what it would be – shoot the moon.
âOverall he did a great job. I hope he will continue to lead the team and I hope we will continue to add good players to play with and around Declan.
“My job is to continue to build the club and to increase that level and to bring Declan players around him who are of a similar level and able to play at a very high level.